Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Add multiple blank spaces between a string

mzlee
7 - Meteor

Hello, I am looking to concatenate columns into one string but I also need to format it with multiple spaces in between 

Example:

Column 1         Column 2            Column 3

2835                    2900                  0000A2

I need the string to look like below, having a fix amount of blank spaces in between:

2835         2900                 0000A2  

thx!

6 REPLIES 6
Deano478
12 - Quasar

@mzlee How many fixed spaces do you need?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mzlee 

Assuming you're outputting to a fixed width file you could try something like this with the padright function:

padright(tostring([Column 1]),14,' ') + padright(tostring([Column 2]),21,' ') + [Column 3]

This thread may also help you: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Create-a-fixed-width-output-us...6

image.png

mzlee
7 - Meteor

I need 6 fixed spaces between Column 1 and Column 2, and 10 fixed spaces between column 2 and Column 3

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mzlee 

Is that 6 and 10 no matter the length of the data in the column originally?

mzlee
7 - Meteor

Hi Luke,

Yes, should be a fixed length as well of 30 characters. Sorry for not adding that information on my initial question!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@mzlee 

This should work assuming columns 1 and 2 are always 4 characters. padright(tostring([Column 1]),10,' ') + padright(tostring([Column 2]),14,' ') + [Column 3]

Labels