Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add a Sub-total line

JSB22
5 - Atom

I have about 10 rows of data and approximately 5 columns.  I need to add sub-totals  at various points along with a Total line at the bottom.  How do I go about doing this?  Thanks!  Joe

JSB22_0-1682610465330.png

I would like to add a line after Cost of Energy that sub-totals Total Operating Revenue and Total Cost of Energy.

4 REPLIES 4
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @JSB22 

One way of doing this.

ShankerV_0-1682611051357.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @JSB22 

Step 1: Input

ShankerV_0-1682611081261.png

Step 2: 

ShankerV_1-1682611094880.png

IF [Field1]="Subtotal"
THEN [Row-1:Field2]+[Row-3:Field2]
ELSE [Field2]
ENDIF

ShankerV_2-1682611168102.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

One more way to add to @ShankerV's solution is to use a Filter tool to get your Totals out with the Contains condition.

Once the totals are out of your True output from Filter tool, use a Summarize tool to sum Field2 column, and you will get your subtotal.

To add it back to your main dataset, use a Record ID tool on your main dataset, and use a Summarize tool thereafter to get the Max RecordID. Then, attach a Formula tool, and change the Max RecordID + 1. From there, use an Append tool to get the Max RecordID + 1 with the subtotal, and rename it as RecordID using a Select tool.

Then, use a Union tool to combine both, and use a Sort tool on RecordID Ascending. 

Adjust this formula and it will be dynamic if you have many rows and/or many groups of subtotals. This can even be made into a Batch Macro.

Hope this adds value!

-Cal

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
JSB22
5 - Atom

Shankar, thank you very much for your response.  Your ideas were instrumental in us nearly solving that problem.  See below for my solution based on your instructions.

JSB22_0-1682693726140.png

Per your instructions I added an Input file with the additional line names that needed to be added to my data using a Union tool as shown below.  

JSB22_1-1682693833961.png

My only issue now is that each of these new lines have multiple columns that need to sum on that line. As shown below,  I got the data in the Actual column to sum with the above Expression steps - but not sure how to get my other columns called AOP and Variance to sum down as well.  I tried to add the new columns with and "AND" after my current expresssion but am getting a Parse error.  I will keep plugging away.  Take care, Joe

JSB22_2-1682694134722.png

Labels