Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

This is the first post in a new series we are doing on the Alter.Nation blog. Each week we will spotlight a different Alteryx ACE so you can get to know them better. 

ACEs.png

Today’s ACE spotlight is @MarqueeCrew! Keep reading to learn more about Mark and what makes him a unique Alteryx super user. 

Tell us a bit about your professional background. 

My journey to becoming an ACE has been curvy and required: jumping through hoops, digging myself out of holes, and walking through walls.  Professionally, it hasn't been all that different.  It seems that I've made a profession out of dealing with ambiguity and solving problems.  I enjoy solving problems and getting my hands dirty, but more so, I enjoy team development.  After 30+ years of working for enterprise companies, I set off to become MarqueeCReW and play full-time with Alteryx.  7 years later, I am still playing and learning daily.  I am a cheerleader for those in Community and my clients.  I am inspired by many and humbled by "imposter" syndrome.  The myth is greater than the legend.

What is one fun thing about you that community members might not know? 

With six poodles and two sphynx (hairless) cats, you might not be surprised that I have an affinity for animals, but did you know that I had three monkeys as a kid?

MeganDibble_3-1656440596958.png

The monkey pictured above, however, wasn’t my monkey.  I was in India (for Alteryx for Good) and met a new friend while I was out exploring.

What is your favorite Alteryx tool, and why? 

Make Group is my favorite Alteryx tool.  It is recursive and powerful with almost no configuration.  If you try to build the Make Group in SQL or with Alteryx (as a macro), you better be advanced or expert.  Out of the box, it is pure magic.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 12.17.57 PM.png

What has been your favorite Alteryx project? 

Working with Alteryx ACE, Alberto "AJ" Guisande (@Aguisande), we tackled re-writing the Data Cleanse macro and made it "CReW" worthy (more on this later).  AJ and I work well together, and getting to know him better has been a great reward for me.

What is your favorite Alteryx memory? 

In 2017 I was recognized by Alteryx founder Libby Duane (@LDuane) for my contributions to the Alteryx Community at Inspire.  I was brought onto the stage and was in total disbelief of what was happening. Later that year, I solved my 500th community post and was again surprised with a video message from Alteryx, which included messages from the community team and all 3 founders; Dean, Libby, and Ned.

What advice do you have for new community members?

Community builds friendships and "family."  There are many tribes that come together in the Alteryx community.  Be open and active, and you'll find great allies in your professional and, hopefully, personal journey.

What is your favorite way to engage as an ACE? Also, what area of the online community do you spend the most time in?

I like to be interactive.  Forget the slides, let's just look at the challenge that you're facing, and we'll figure it out together.  My focus is designer discussions, but I'm all over the place.

Silly question... if you were a kitchen appliance/utensil, what would you be and why? 

I'll be the kitchen sink.  I've cleaned more data and have had "everything" tossed my way.

What’s your youtube channel about?

It’s all about fun! Fun with Alteryx that is. There is occasional educational content as well. I did a would you rather series with ACEs and a challenge involving answering questions & eating hot things.

I’ve seen some of your CReW macros—what does CreW mean?

MeganDibble_0-1656439876034.png

CReW stands for Chaos Reigns Within. This haiku originated in an error message from an early version of Alteryx: “Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and restart. Order shall return.” The goal for CReW macros is to keep things easy and simple in Alteryx. (You can check out the Chaos Reigns Within Blog, with contributions from both Adam Riley (@AdamR) and Mark, here.)

Ok, now finally, let’s do a quick “This or That” to get to know your Alteryx preferences!

This or That Alteryx Edition (Instagram Story) (2).png

  

Tune in next week to meet another amazing ACE!

Want to learn more about what ACEs do and how to become one? Check out this page to see details about the program.

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

noice.gif

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Amazing stuff!

BTW, thanks Mark for your kind words, they're way much more than I deserve.

Is always a pleaure and an honor to work with such a Legend, and you have no idea how I enjoy those "zoom." messages you send me, to join you on Zoom and discuss whatever needs to be discussed.

Aguisande_1-1656512143659.png

I love you man!

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Awesome to hear more about your story @MarqueeCrew. Also interesting to hear the Make Group tool get some love - it's too rarely used!

I'm going to have to push you on an answer for the Horizontal/Vertical debate - you cant sit on the fence about such a divisive issue!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Vertical vs Horizontal.gif

I couldn't decide on how to answer the Vertical versus Horizontal question.  I tend towards horizontal but enjoy a good vertical workflow too.  Maybe I don't really need to decide?  Thank you @MeganDibble and @shannonem for including me in this spotlight program.  The ACE program is growing and we want to be inclusive and have new membership from all walks of the Alteryx Community.  Please feel free to reach out to Shannon or any of the ACEs if you want to talk Alteryx and how we can help you.

Cheers,

Mark

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would like to volunteer @mceleavey for another series of "questions & eating hot things" on your YouTube channel 🤣.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hot Ones!

I agree.

DataNath
17 - Castor

This was great! Looking forward to reading more of these and hearing about various Alteryx journeys!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

This is nice.
Thank you so much.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Legendary! 🤩

I'm so excited about this series.

Ken_Black
9 - Comet
9 - Comet

I’m currently cruising between Athens and Mykonos Greece. Every few seconds red lights flash on islands hidden by the blackness of the Aegean Sea. These lights signify windmill locations. Seeing renewable energy sources like these and all the solar panels in Athens today have provided me hope for a better future and gave me a breath of fresh air!

Speaking of fresh air, this ACE series is going to be fantastic! Mark has set the bar pretty high already. I know each article is going to be special.

Bravo to Megan!

Ken

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Love this series. Mark you are and always will be an Alteryx Legend. Mark was my cheerleader at my first INSPIRE talk. Ill never forget it. Friend for life. 

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

@MeganDibble Thanks for starting this series. Very inspirational for community members.