Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #3: Ranking Duplicate Data

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Academy_Quests_Banner_1050 x 300 (1050 x 200 px) (1).png

Hi Maveryx,

Thanks for submitting your solutions for Cloud Quest #2! In the video solution we posted, Alteryx Chief Evangelist Josh Burkhow will guide you through the workflow.

Now, for this week’s quest, let's delve into the task of ranking records when there can be multiple records with the same rank.

Using the provided dataset that contains two columns [Name] and [Count], your goal is to identify the top five rankings based on the count. However, as there might be several rows with identical counts (similar to a round of golf), multiple individuals can occupy the same position (Rank) if they share the same score.

Your final result should look like the following image:

Output.png

Hint: Identify the top five positions (ranks 1 through 5) based on the Count column before proceeding with your analysis.

Spoiler

A combination of Join, Summarize, Sample, Row ID, and Sort tools should solve your problem, not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Here’s to a successful quest!

We want to hear from you!

As we introduce our Cloud Quests for the first time, we value your input. Share your thoughts on the clarity of instructions, the provided dataset, the expected output, and any suggestions to enhance your experience.

Thank you!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

47 REPLIES 47
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Using my own datasource (which I had to deduplicate because it was hastily generated) I tackled this Quest #3!

Here's my take

Spoiler
the second aggregation step is to create te count per user, but as the tile tool inverses the rankings, I had to fix that using a max_tile + append + formula constructionthe second aggregation step is to create te count per user, but as the tile tool inverses the rankings, I had to fix that using a max_tile + append + formula construction
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!!

I remember there was the similar challenge in Weekly Challenge. So I used Weekly Challenge #9's input file.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-03-07 224704.png

  

I attached my input file.

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Thank you @AkimasaKajitani for providing a file! Solution attached:

Spoiler
Similar solution as well - is it just me or did the Tile tool not perform as expected?
Quest #3.png
biancang
8 - Asteroid

Done. ☺

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 3.PNG
MikeRoof
Alteryx
Alteryx

Big thanks to @AkimasaKajitani for the example file! Here's a solution that uses Unique instead of Summarize:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 11.26.52 AM.png
tshih18
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's my solution

Spoiler
Quest 3.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Lets have the Multi-Row Formula tool for Cloud

@AkimasaKajitani Thank you forthe data input.

Spoiler
Quest 3.png
LynnPätzold
8 - Asteroid

Had to think a sec about my solution.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-03-08 115051.png

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution! loving the record id function with a sort integrated! 

thank you @AkimasaKajitani for the dataset :)

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2024-03-08 à 14.34.23.png

nwaters
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my contribution for Cloud Quest 3

Spoiler
2024-03-08_15-06-36.png