Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #3: Ranking Duplicate Data

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Academy_Quests_Banner_1050 x 300 (1050 x 200 px) (1).png

Hi Maveryx,

Thanks for submitting your solutions for Cloud Quest #2! In the video solution we posted, Alteryx Chief Evangelist Josh Burkhow will guide you through the workflow.

Now, for this week’s quest, let's delve into the task of ranking records when there can be multiple records with the same rank.

Using the provided dataset that contains two columns [Name] and [Count], your goal is to identify the top five rankings based on the count. However, as there might be several rows with identical counts (similar to a round of golf), multiple individuals can occupy the same position (Rank) if they share the same score.

Your final result should look like the following image:

Output.png

Hint: Identify the top five positions (ranks 1 through 5) based on the Count column before proceeding with your analysis.

Spoiler

A combination of Join, Summarize, Sample, Row ID, and Sort tools should solve your problem, not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Here’s to a successful quest!

We want to hear from you!

As we introduce our Cloud Quests for the first time, we value your input. Share your thoughts on the clarity of instructions, the provided dataset, the expected output, and any suggestions to enhance your experience.

Thank you!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

44 REPLIES 44
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

This is a nice quest not only to get familiar with Designer Cloud but also, to know how the behavior of the tools having the same name differs between each platform Desktop vs Cloud. With Designer Desktop, I would go with Tile tool to calculate Dense Rank. With Designer Cloud, I see a couple of way to do so. 

Spoiler
Tile tool in Cloud has mandatory option of "Sort by" while Desktop has an option "Leave Unsorted". I could not find the way to directly put dense rank in descending order by solely using Tile tool.
image.png

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Fun!

Spoiler
Quest_3 Workflow.png
FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Designer Cloud workflowDesigner Cloud workflow
Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

Capture d’écran 2024-03-25 à 22.42.42.png

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I was surprised by the output of the tile tool. Fun challenge though :)

Spoiler
Its Tile_nums were identical regardless of sort order, or sorting before the tool
Quest_03.png
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

It's not pretty, but I got there! 

Spoiler

CloudQuest3Solution.png

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
logdog0411
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Picture4.png

geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx

This one required me to use different tools than I would normally use with Designer Desktop. Also, requiring a sorting column for the Row ID tool removed a solution for me on this one. I get it has to do with sampling on the backend, but it's very frustrating sometimes.

Spoiler
quest_3_workflow.png

Diederik_vanderharst
8 - Asteroid

Voila

Spoiler
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-09 om 15.33.49.png

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My Solution.

Spoiler