Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #3: Ranking Duplicate Data

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Academy_Quests_Banner_1050 x 300 (1050 x 200 px) (1).png

Hi Maveryx,

Thanks for submitting your solutions for Cloud Quest #2! In the video solution we posted, Alteryx Chief Evangelist Josh Burkhow will guide you through the workflow.

Now, for this week’s quest, let's delve into the task of ranking records when there can be multiple records with the same rank.

Using the provided dataset that contains two columns [Name] and [Count], your goal is to identify the top five rankings based on the count. However, as there might be several rows with identical counts (similar to a round of golf), multiple individuals can occupy the same position (Rank) if they share the same score.

Your final result should look like the following image:

Output.png

Hint: Identify the top five positions (ranks 1 through 5) based on the Count column before proceeding with your analysis.

Spoiler

A combination of Join, Summarize, Sample, Row ID, and Sort tools should solve your problem, not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Here’s to a successful quest!

We want to hear from you!

As we introduce our Cloud Quests for the first time, we value your input. Share your thoughts on the clarity of instructions, the provided dataset, the expected output, and any suggestions to enhance your experience.

Thank you!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

44 REPLIES 44
AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Apologies everyone! The starting dataset has been attached to the original post

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you so much for helping out here! Our original starting dataset has been attached now - but thank you for taking care of everyone in the meantime :) much appreciated.

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

We would as well! Feature parity with Designer Desktop is coming along as fast as our engineers can push it out. Thanks for your patience! 

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

It's posted now! Our mistake. Thanks for flagging for us.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

LISTEN EVERYONE I FORGOT TO FILTER. 

But this was a whirlwind of a 30 minute exercise because I wanted to do it in desktop and cloud to figure the differences and I made an amazing discovery. Also want to call out @ScottMcV for the genius to leverage tiles. I always forget that one.

The fastest way on desktop is either tiles or Multi-Row. But there is no multirow yet in DC so I went with the unique and join pattern that other people have shown. The thing that blows my mind about this thread is how no one has called out the fact that the new "row-ID" tool in the cloud SORTS!!! IT SORTS! I wish I was recording because I swear my head almost exploded.

Anyway 5/5 would do again.

DC Solution:

Spoiler
Quest3DC.png

DD Solution:

Spoiler
Quest3DD.png
Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Bren_Spill
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
Q3 Solution 1 WF.PNG

Q3 Solution 1.PNG

Spoiler
Q3 Solution 2 WF.PNG

Q3 Solution 2.PNG

Hi All - I created a second solution to this for instances where ranking numbers are skipped after a tie (modified competition ranking)

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

I completed this on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I disagree with the ranking methodology, so I used one that makes sense to me. Paul is 3rd, not 2nd and Dale is 8th, not 4th.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2024-03-10 at 9.49.29 AM.png
JoachimCaronTIL
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Spoiler
Quest 3 JC.png

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
Quest3.png