Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #8: Settle the Score

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #7. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below!

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

1. Upload the provided Cloud Quest 8 - Start File.json file into your Analytics Cloud library.
  2. The input and output datasets are included in the start file.

For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article Cloud Quest Submission Process Update.

Scenario:

A group of friends are playing their favorite game. Not understanding the importance of inputting data in an easy-to-work-with format, they devised an incredibly inefficient way to keep score of their game!

In the game, there are five rounds of play and five players (a, b, c, d, and e—the first letter of their names). Each time the player’s initial appears in lowercase, the player is awarded 1 point. Each time their initial appears in uppercase, 1 point is subtracted from their overall score. Now it is your job to figure out each player’s score for each round and their respective totals after all five rounds of play. Who won? 

Hints: 

1. Tokenize the input data into rows.
  2. There are many ways to calculate scores for each letter, but an If/Then statement can accomplish this in one expression.
  3. When pivoting, you can perform multiple calculations at once including Sum and Total Column.
Spoiler

A combination of the Cross Tab, RegEx, Formula, and Dynamic Replace tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library.

• Download your workflow solution file.
  • Include your JSON file and a screenshot of your workflow as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

12 REPLIES 12
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Spoiler
The first two ways I thought to solve this are missing in Designer Cloud, but I found way.
Quest8_JeffF.png
EDIT: After I found that the REGEX_Replace function supports icase, I reworked my solution to 5 tools, with the last tool just sorting the data into the correct order. My first thought was to use CharToInt(), but that is also not available in Cloud.

Quest8_JeffF_2.png
geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx

The REGEX_Match function in the Formula tool doesn't appear to support the "icase" parameter which would have required less tools than I used.

Spoiler
quest_8_workflow.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I needed a little help to get around the auto-naming in the Cross-Tab tool (_1, _2, etc) but finally got it and created an App in App Builder too! 

Spoiler
CloudQuest8Solution-TS.pngCloudQuest8-AppOrchestration.pngCloudQuest8-AppPreview.png
Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

The dynamic rename tool makes renaming those column headers easy!

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not understanding why Regex_Match isn't working, but here's a solution:

Spoiler
Cloud Quest #8 Screenshot.png
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution, had to use Regex Tools for splitting my data instead of regex in formulas but great exercise!

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here is my solution !

Spoiler
Capture d’écran 2024-05-21 à 17.09.43.png
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I use the Contains function with Case sensitive feature.

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 8.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Here's my take

Spoiler
we should only need 3 tools: regex tokenise to rows, formula with regex_match() or something else which actually supports an icase argument, and a crosstab tool... the other two tools are only required to exactly match the output solutionwe should only need 3 tools: regex tokenise to rows, formula with regex_match() or something else which actually supports an icase argument, and a crosstab tool... the other two tools are only required to exactly match the output solution