Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #41: Analytics PayPeriodCalc

Parul_Kapoor
8 - Asteroid

Here is the solution.

rachelgatto
8 - Asteroid

Solved. 

erick_irigoyen
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Solution attached.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great challenge, I really enjoyed this one.

I think mine is different to most as I wanted to avoid using the "Generate Rows" tool as this brute force approach, while very useful in given circumstances, can massively increase the data size. So, I used something else...

Spoiler
I first transposed the data to get the dates in a single column, I then used the date parse tool to convert the date into a date format. With this new date, I created the "Month" column.
Now here's where it gets interesting (if you don't get out much, obviously), I split the streams, the first I cross-tabbed back to I had the P1 and P2 start and end dates in columns; the second I generated the days of the week, and filtered to only show those that were weekend days. I then applied the "Count Workdays" tool, and fed in the weekend days as the restriction list.
Simple.

Workflow.PNG
results.PNG

Bulien

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
Challenge 41.PNGI found this article useful for getting the day of the week from the dates - https://help.alteryx.com/10.1/Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com

This one took me a long time... I thought I was using way too many tools and it had to be simpler, but it ended up being very similar to the posted solution.

RobertoEstrada
8 - Asteroid

There is a great macro on the gallery to Count Weekdays (and even allows you to input holidays). Also you can use this link to check the date time formats.

dillon_bok
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge - 41.PNG
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Here we go!

Spoiler
41.png