Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #3: Running Averages

MitchellBliesner
8 - Asteroid

I am working my way through the Alteryx Challenges as I am learning Alteryx. Here is my solution to the problem.

gaoa
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
gaoa_0-1684041599583.png

atreides
8 - Asteroid

Started the workflow by transposing the data columns then I proceeded to apply the following treatments:

- sorted it ascending by RM Category, Year and Month

- Replaced Null() values with with the value on the previous row

- Used a Multi-Row Formula for creating the 3 months average, respectively the 6-month one

tothd
8 - Asteroid

Ok Terrific

logdog0411
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
logdog0411_0-1685373433030.png

Seems a bit silly to put a Spoiler tag on it when the original post is 8 years old... 

I didn't pivot it all back into column to match the output because that also struck me as silly. 

SailAway
7 - Meteor

my solution

Computernerd
8 - Asteroid

I got most of the way, but had to peek to get it right. 🙄

The_Rad_Valentina
8 - Asteroid

Great use of Multi-Row formula tools. 

It's weird that the problem is giving you a hint:  "For Values that do not exist, set values to closest valid row. " But the solution actually does not do that. It uses a zero for nulls instead. So I followed the hint and my response is slightly different from the solution. 

I definitely learned that you can change the Num Rows in the Multi-Row Formula tool to play with a bigger selection of row, rather than the default 2. 

I also used the Average( ) formula rather than adding and then dividing by 3 or 6...should do the same thing theoretically :)

I also didn't do the last transpose as I liked how my table looked better. It doesn't make sense to me to put the RM Category as a Value. What was the reason for that?

The_Rad_Valentina_0-1685715152658.png

kaitlinDS37
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
kaitlinDS37_0-1686147458741.png

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Question is framed interestingly, and answer is not what is requested.

I've gone with a benefit of the doubt approach

Spoiler
TheOC_0-1686582659081.png

Bulien