Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #116: A Symphony of Parsing Tools!

mgaronson
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
mgaronson_0-1675625704445.png

Big thanks to @joe_yang solution that helped me understand how to parse XML.

kristiadiuisan
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Alteryx_challenge_116_KU.png
alacoume
8 - Asteroid

A solution:

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Reminds me why I hate working with XML

Spoiler
bkclaw113_0-1681490682382.png

chandler-gjino
Alteryx
Alteryx

attaching my solution

geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
geoff_zath_0-1686862948555.png

michaelbono16
7 - Meteor

mithily
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
followed mmongeons lead but will have to revisit as its not as clean as it can be
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Very challenging.

This exposed my lack of knowledge of XML tool but I think also exposed its flaws. WIthout knowing smart configurations to do this in simple terms I set about working through the levels of the XML - tokenizing where required with REGEX.

End result was a lot more records than the expected output. In part because I seemed to capture more information for one concert that had 1 row in the expected output mine had over 7 rows as I captured all the songs played at that concert. But even my method seemed to miss 14 concerts I could not get any information for.

Next steps - need to crack the config for xml parse.

Spoiler
Challenge 116 WF Image.png
I also learnt that copying across the download field is not sustainable it leads to slow computing as the table becomes huge holding that large a string field.
olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

Thank you, @ChristineB!  My Download tool is blocked by the firewall, but I followed your solution with the data from Download tool, using XML Parse tool.  This was my first time using XML Parsing tool.  Thank you for showing the way!