community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
With our short, effective, relevant, and interactive lessons that include videos, activities, and quizzes, you'll be up and running in no time!
Interactive Lessons
With our short, effective, relevant, and interactive lessons that include videos, activities, and quizzes, you'll be up and running in no time!
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Preparing Data with String Functions

Sr. Instructional Designer

Lesson Objective: Cleanse and prepare string data for analysis using expressions.

Estimated Time: ~8 Minutes

Description:

• Learn to remove unwanted characters from your data using string functions
  • Search data for matching characters and text with string functions.
  • Quiz yourself on what you've learned!

Recommended Follow-Up: Calculations with Dates and Times, Writing Conditional Statements

Comments

Hey, 

I have a doubt, i want to filter out data that has string followed by a number 

ex: I need to filter I3 or I45 

can you please help me with this

Regards

Viswadeep V

Meteor

Great video

Atom

Actually pls never mind, figured out -- (Previously posted "For finding gmail and "ED", why for gmail "yes" result is "-1" while for "ED", "no" case is "-1"?")

Meteor

Can the same cleansing operations be done using the Data Cleansing tool? 

Comet

Some of them definitely can, removing whitespace for example or removing punctuation from the phone number field, also uppercase or lowercase values in a field. You can't create the flags for the Gmail or Education with the data cleansing tool, but the other cleansing functions demonstrated at the beginning of this can be handled by the Data Cleansing tool. I think the purpose of this training is to give you exposure to string functions and how you can use them.  

Atom

So, if I understand this correctly, when using the "contains" function then a "-1" indicates that the string did contain the value being searched for. However, when using the "find string" function a "-1" indicates the value being searched for was not found. Why would "-1" sometimes mean 'yes' but sometimes mean 'no' depending on the function?

@MT1 Great question!  Some string functions are used to evaluate a condition (like a Contains function) while others are used to detect position (such as the FindString function).  Since the result of a Contains function is essentially "True" or "False", you can think of these results like a Boolean data type: True = nonzero while False = zero.  Functions that detect position usually (I say "usually" because I'd have to read the Help documentation more thoroughly before I'd say "all") use a 0-based index for positions.  Because 0 is a valid value for a position, a result of -1 is used to indicate that a specified string was not found.   I hope that helps!

Atom

I am having difficulty with the training videos.  I get about half-way through and after clicking "NEXT" get an error: "This page is having a problem loading".

I've tried multiple times but continue getting this error in the "PREPARING DATA WITH STRING FUNCTIONS" and "USING NUMERIC FUNCTIONS" modules.

Any suggestions on how to get past these errors?

Hi @mpeknik,  

Thanks for letting me know about this!  I haven't heard about this from anyone before.  Would you mind capturing a screen shot and sending it to me via private message or post it to this thread?  Any additional information on your browser would be beneficial too.  

Atom

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPGSlide3.JPG

Thanks @mpeknik!  That's really helpful. 

Atom

I have the same problem than @mpeknik, when I try to pass from slide 4 to slide 5, the page reload automatically

I thought I was the only one with having to reload in the middle of the slide show. It happened only today (for me that is), and it occurred in some of the "expression"-related modules. I have been using Internet Explorer (Microsoft Edge) since the vides not working in Firefox for some reason.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Atom
Hi, The training seems to reload in the interactive parts of the module (where I have to hover on red corners, select incorrect parts of the expressions, etc). I am using Microsoft Edge 41.16299.820.0

Hi @aanguelov, thanks for reporting this!  Seems like you and @laml are seeing issues specifically with Edge.  I"ll see if I can replicate.  When using Chrome on my end, I don't see the behavior you mention.   

Hi @ChristineB,

I did switch to Chrome as well and it worked just fine. I guess it is a browser issue. Would be good to have a comment on the website somewhere addressing this issue so people avoid the same challenger. Thanks again for your response.

Regards

Anatoliy