Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Summing total tuition for med students

jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

I have an example where there's multiple students, various countries and studies. I needed to filter down to medical studies only and get the sum of tuition for all students. I converted the data type to "double" but when I try to sum all I get [null].

Can someone help me and let me know what I'm doing wrong? 

2 REPLIES 2
AdwaitTarudkar
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jjimenez 

This error happens when null values are in the column even after changing the data type to double. If you convert those into zero that will fix your issue.

You can share a screenshot to understand the problem better if this is not the case.

Thanks

gyang3
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jjimenez, looking at your workflow, I think the order of your Select and Data Cleansing tool might be the issue.

Solution:  use the select tool first to change the datatype from a string to a float/double, and then lastly use the Data Cleansing tool to convert all nulls to 0s. Now you should be able to use the Summarize tool to sum your data. Sample screenshot below:

gyang3_0-1668462926330.png

Hope that helps. If so, please mark as solution so others may benefit from it as well.

Labels