Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Join data from query and excel sheet

Soraju
7 - Meteor

Hello!

Can I join data from a query and data from an excel sheet using the join operator on a common column?

If yes, do I need to mention the key as the header in the excel file?

7 REPLIES 7
JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@Soraju 

Hi,
yes, you can. You need to properly mark the columns you would like to join on in the tool:

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1647463021125.png

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Soraju
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your response. I am trying to join one excel file to a query output.

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@Soraju 
I am not sure if I understood you correctly - are you asking how to insert query output from a database into Alteryx?

If yes, you can do it with Data Input tool - similarly as a regular file:

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1647586060950.png

Soraju
7 - Meteor

Hey Jarek, 

Thanks for following up. I am trying to find out if we could join 1 column from query output and 1 column from the excel file. If yes, do the columns have to be named the same? My workflow looks something like this.

Soraju_0-1647607156386.png

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

By "joining the column" you mean sth like this?:

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1647635272574.png

If so, you need to union them - the column names does not need to have the same name you just need to choose the correct configuration:

JarekSkudrzyk_1-1647635511070.png

Auto config by name unions columns that have the same name

Auto config by position - unions first column from input 1 with first column from input 2, second col from input 1 with second column from input 2 and so on.
In your case I think the third option will be appropriate - Manually configure fields. As the name says, you can manually decide which column from input 1 should be matched with which column from input 2:

JarekSkudrzyk_2-1647635760843.png

The arrows on the right help you move columns around. The numbers on the left (#1 and #2) are the inputs (e.g. query and excel file).

Please also see attached workflow.

You can check out the options of the union tool in the example provided by alteryx - it is very well done in my opinion:

JarekSkudrzyk_3-1647636002968.png

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Soraju
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

you are welcome:)

Labels