Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Issue with Summairze/Count results

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

hi, i am new to Alteryx and trying to use the Summarize/count tool so that i can then use a formula based off of whether a request ID is in my file multilple times. The formula works however the issue is that the count feature stops working when i try to add more fields taking the Action "Group By."

i want the output to show me all the columns i already have and only use the "count" action for the "Request No" field. However, when i add "Client First Name" and groupby that and run it, the count feature no longer works. There's no error that appears but Count says "1" for everything when i know that there are multiples. 

does anyone know what i am doing wrong? Do i even need to add all of the fields and action them by "Group By?" This is the only way i can see that my results will appear with all columns i need. 

Thank you!

dattina2287_1-1655836341597.png

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @dattina2287 

You will need to use the Summarize as a separate process to get the count. Then the output of this Summarize can be Joined (based on RequestID) to your initial data set, to be used in your formula.

Something like the below

christine_assaad_0-1655837044956.png

Cheers!

dattina2287
8 - Asteroid

hi Christine, thank you for the quick reply. The issue is that i'm using the summarize tool after i already used the join tool. Now i want to use the summarize tool to count the Request ID column in the J output and have it still show me all of the columns in the J output.

dattina2287_0-1655837342565.png

Hi @dattina2287 

Your summarize - based on my understanding - needs to have 2 columns. Request ID (Group By) and Request ID (count). 

After the Summarize, add another Join. Its R anchor can be connected to your Summarize and L anchor to your Join J anchor.

You can configure to look at Request ID as common field.

When you run the workflow, it will show you the original data (coming from J) + the Count per ID (coming from Summarize).

Let me know if this is not what you are exactly looking for. Cheers!

Labels