Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

I am curious to know how Alteryx got its name. What is the story behind the name?

Ritesh127
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

this isn't a technical question but I would highly appreciate any insight into how this powerful tool was given its name.

Thank you very much, 

Ritesh

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Here's their story:  https://www.alteryx.com/press-releases/2010-03-24-src-llc-now-alteryx

In short, Dean named it.  Alter the YX coordinates (spatial:  Lon/Lat).

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Ritesh127
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you MarqueeCrew!! That's an interesting tidbit to know!

SFTakach
5 - Atom

Interesting. I was thinking of something much more geeky than that. I thought that it was the modified spelling of the portmanteau "alter" (as in 'alter the data') + "unix" = "alterix"

--> "alteryx". The streaming of data through a serial collection of tools in alteryx resembles data streaming through a pipe of commands in unix.

nadimalam
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Was a great question! @Ritesh127 - glad you have the insight into the Alteryx name!

JohnL248
7 - Meteor

The link to the story is returning "Error 403 - Forbidden".  Does anyone have a working link to the story?  Thanks!

AlteryxMatt

Hi John! We're currently experiencing an outage on our website. Feel free to check back in on the link later! 

JohnL248
7 - Meteor
Labels