General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Creating Macro Icons for Fun!

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all!

I'm sure that by now most users would have had the chance to create macros / stored procedures that utilize the macro function within Alteryx. The icons generated from the Macro given by Alteryx are great as well, but it does sometimes conflict with how some Alteryx-native tools appear in a workflow on the canvas.

To make your creation stand out, adding a bit of flair to it is my favorite pastime since making my first macro. My first designs were horrible, but I think I've got to a point where I'm proud to share how I do it:

• If you need a tool, you can use Canva to design! It's free and it has a lot of features such as coloring, icons, and shapes/icons!
  • Once on Canva, click on Custom Size:

caltang_0-1680842555501.png

• The appropriate pixel length for Macros is 171 px x 171 px.
  • Once the custom size has been created, you can utilize the elements to create a base:

caltang_1-1680842649320.png

• You can add your icons and flair like so:

caltang_2-1680842763394.png

Adding your own flair gives you a few benefits:

1. Distinct enough for your users to know what they are from a glance!
  2. Visually appealing for users and they will remember the one who created it!
  3. If you're running an Alteryx Centre / Team, having your own flair helps you stand out!

Hope this helps spark creativity in users and may we all have our own icons, huzzah!

As a bonus, comment your own designs! Some background of the macro, who it's for, what it does, and what does the icon symbolize - it may inspire others!

-Cal

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
1 REPLY 1
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Nice, thanks for sharing! @caltang 

Labels