General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 11 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 11 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/11

24 REPLIES 24
DataNath
17 - Castor

Day 11 completed! Despite claiming that I would brute force part 2 at any cost in the WhatsApp group, about 90 minutes into generating over 2billion rows, I realised that this could actually be done in a much simpler way and decided to implement that instead... smart, eh?

Spoiler
Day11.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Part 1 I used Generate Rows, but part 2 I used a multi-row formula. I started to brute force part 2 but 5M x 8M was going to be a bit large...
image.png
SuguruYoshinaga
9 - Comet

Day 11 finished.

Spoiler
WF

image.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

My solution:

Spoiler
11.png
mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

No macro/generate rows! 0.9 sec for p1/p2

Spoiler
Day11.png
Carolyn
11 - Bolide

Solved!! Time to head back to D10

Spoiler
Part 2 took way longer than it should have, first because I was doing the "10x larger" to mean "add 10 in ADDITION to the 1 already there". And then I ran into 2 PEBKAC problems

2023-12-11_13-17-59.png

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

My Solution

Spoiler
Part 1 can be solved by setting "expansion ratio = 2".
It took 2.0 seconds to run.
AoC11.png
caitlynmcintyre
9 - Comet

I liked this one, Part 1 and Part 2 just need to adjust the multiplier in the circled tool

Spoiler

11.png

alisonpitt
11 - Bolide

It's so hard to resist the urge to go back and "fix" part 1 when you find a better solution in part 2!

Spoiler
11-1-ap.png11-2-ap.png
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

no macro day is a happy day.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels