Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2022 Day 19 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Discussion thread for day 19 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2022/day/19
5 REPLIES 5
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I couldn't create a specific algorithm to make geode efficiently. As a result, I solved this challenge by making all patterns while reducing the records.

Spoiler
AkimasaKajitani_0-1672588169730.png
Macro for Part1 and 2:
AkimasaKajitani_1-1672588214887.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It took a lot of time to write all the logic, but got there in the end.

Spoiler
Similar to day 16, just created all the possible paths/actions and then only kept the top 50,000 paths. It took a minute to get the sort right. 

patrick_digan_1-1672836943823.png

patrick_digan_0-1672836854854.png

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Seemed like there should have been a math-based solution, but I didn't find it...

Spoiler
Instead, I took the iterative route. The toughest part was keeping record count from exploding. Lots of information to store in variables: I passed 20+ fields between iterations.

The macro logic is complete by the second formula. The rest of the tools are purely for reducing record count. 

Full workflows posted here: https://github.com/clmc9601/Advent-of-Code-solutions/tree/main/2022%20Alteryx

workflow, only a slight adjustment in detour for part 1 vs 2workflow, only a slight adjustment in detour for part 1 vs 2iterative macroiterative macro
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

same concept. but i used batch macro + iteration macro instead. easier to build by this way.

Spoiler
Part1:

extract data and crosstab it. this is master data for required resource for each robot.

Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1673517618378.png

workflow

In batch macro, create a start. 1 ore robot. and iteration macro to process by each blueprint.
Pang_Hee_Choy_1-1673517780486.png

batch macro

in iteration macro,
add 5 possible moves (builds 1 of 4 robots or nothing), add rows control.
sort by total geode, total obsidian, and total clay. (used + current)

Pang_Hee_Choy_2-1673518039930.png

iteration macro

Part2:
careful on data you to multiply. just multiply for geode. need not multiply with blueprint number.
increase the record control if the answer is too low.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) this felt like an easier one - including from some debugging, got this one done in a few hours.

Spoiler
I treated this as a depth-first tree search - where at each iteration, you add on child nodes for 
- save your money
- build each of the different types of bots
(so you have an explosion factor of 5 on each layer - i.e. max of 5 to the power of n where n is depth of tree)

Once the expansion takes place - I eliminated any options that were not possible due to resources - that brought the tree width down - and then invented a scoring factor to reward the higher level resources - and only kept the top performing nodes.

The solution for part 1 worked with part 2 without any changes

SeanAdams_0-1673956225115.png

Labels