Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2021 Day 21 (BaseA Style)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Discussion thread for day 21 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2021/day/21

istockphoto-473046237-640x640.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Phew, only 4 more to go! Fun part 2 today.

Spoiler
For part 1 I just used multi-row formulas to calculate everything. For part 2, I had an iterative macro and summed all the different possibilities. There are 3 dice with 3 possibilities, so 27 different possibilities. When you sum the 3 dice up, there are only 7 different outcomes (3-9) with varying chance. For example  there is only 1 way to get a sum of 3 (1-1-1) but 3 ways to get a sum of 4 (1-1-2 , 1-2-1 , 2-1-1). 

patrick_digan_0-1640090167588.png

Part 2 macro:
patrick_digan_1-1640090198688.png

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
Another fun challenge
Solved part 1 initially in a spreadsheet as it's an easy one, and I was too lazy too boot up Alteryx while still in bed, so just did it in Google Sheets on my phone, but have now retrospectively solved it with Alteryx

Part 2 took like the lanternfish and polymer days is a case of grouping together the combinations and iterating over that, which leads to a sub-2 second run time.

Workflow
cgoodman3_0-1640099842942.png

Macro for part 2

cgoodman3_1-1640099880874.png

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
LiuZhang
9 - Comet

Looking for some suggestions, I've checked vs @patrick_digan , the logic is the same, but I cannot figure out what's wrong with my macro. It under-counted a lot of results.

Idea is to iterate through each round, count the combinations.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@LiuZhang check your text input in your workflow, I think you put the starting position for player2 into their score.

LiuZhang
9 - Comet

Great, thanks.

After 2 hrs constantly changing the formula tool, it's the text input was wrong. The irony of it.

Well, at least today's doable compare to the weekend.

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Happily playing golf for part I...only to find out part II... then iterative it was.

Spoiler
dsmdavid_0-1640172633569.png

A similar approach to those above for the grouping. Although a lot less neat

dsmdavid_1-1640172739009.png

For part 1 I went with a generate rows that was fun to build that keeps track of points for players, current position, last_advance, number of rolls.

dsmdavid_2-1640172932006.png

Because of the deterministic dice we know that the first roll is 1+2+3 --> advance 6; the next is 4+5+6 --> 15 == advance 5; 
1+2+3 -->   6 == 6
4+5+6 --> 15 == 5
7+8+9 --> 24 == 4
.....            33 == 3
                 42 == 2
etc, so no need to keep track of the actual numbers, just know that the next turn the marker will advance one square less. 

https://github.com/dsmdavid/AdventCode2021

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This was a fun one - and I just got tripped up on a < vs. <= issue - thank you @patrick_digan for posting your full solution so that I could use yours to cross-check and find my error.

Spoiler
Recipe is kinda simple:
- Work out the dice throws that happen when you roll 3 die that can be 1-3, and group them by the total sum.
- in other words, 3 occurs once, 4 occurs 3 times etc.
- then take the latest state of your position universes and:
      - Append these dice rolls (to multiply the record count by 7)
      - For the player who is currently taking a turn - add on the dice score and work out the position
      - For the player who is not taking taking a turn, leave as-is
      - multiply the universe count by the dice count
      - Summarise again by the total scores across P1 and P2
      - Then reprocess any where both players have a score less than the threshold - and output any where the player score is >= the threshold (i.e. score of 21)

Main Flow:
SeanAdams_0-1640885667789.png

:-) I've included @patrick_digan 's macro that I used to find my error in this.    You can see that it's pretty straighforward.

The Dice Throw:

Also relatively simple - all the work is done in the formula tool in the middle which updates the scores.
- The main thing that I did differently than @patrick_digan is instead of keeping track of which player's turn it is using a turn flag, I instead looked at the Iteration Number - if the iteration number is even then it's player 1's turn, if it's odd then player 2.  This is done using a mod operator.    Modulus finds the remainder when dividing one number by another.   This is super-common trick in computer science.     Digan's trick (with a simple flag) involves much less computation I'd think
- I put on a parameter for score-ceiling to be able to test with progressively higher score thresholds
- I calculate the dice throws every time which is wasteful - Digan pre-calulated them and used a text input - perhaps a better answer is somewhere in the middle where we pass this in via a static input to the macro
- and the great debate about vertical vs. Horizontal

SeanAdams_3-1640886023459.png

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

thanks @patrick_digan again for the workflow. it simple and work well.

Spoiler
P1 : generate the list of dices. group and sum it. Join and do the comparation.
Pang_Hee_Choy_0-1642069082837.png

P2: 
i already have idea to do by group as flash fish. but i can't figure how....
thanks patrick once again. it countless time that i referred to your workflow.

Labels