Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

ACE Convo: Nicole Johnson, Why Tune your Workflow?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Thanks for your feedback @Emil_Kos.  Here's another snippet from our recent conversation.  Nicole explains why performance tuning gets you to a better quality of work.

Is tuning your workflow something that you currently do?  Do you avoid it?  What can you share about your experience?

Please join the conversation!

Cheers,

Mark @NicoleJohnson @Hollingsworth 

tagging:  @tessaenns @JoshKushner @ydmuley @Dynamomo @Rant @Leeia_I @WillM @KimA @JacobMoncla 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
3 REPLIES 3
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @MarqueeCrew,

Thank you for sharing this. Like in my previous comment I really enjoyed @NicoleJohnson speech. She is one of the most recognizable people in the community and it is a pleasure to hear from her. 

Adding additional explanation during the conversation like the one below is a really cool idea:

Screen.png

My only suggestion for keeping the videos like this under the 5-minute mark. In the time when everyone wants to grab our attention, shorter videos will be watched by more people. 

Once more thank you for sharing and I am looking forward for more. 

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Thank you for organizing and recording these videos @MarqueeCrew! Always a pleasure to hear from fellow enthusiasts and learn from their experience. These bite-sized video series are a great medium.

My journey like most folks transitioning into Alteryx was mostly about trial and error learning. I was a master at building what I describe as dreadful pieces of art. Solutions worked but there was a lot to be desired from a performance standpoint. I got judged all the time but in hindsight needed that to get my act together. I probably have gotten better at building efficient solutions, and can definitely sound more intelligent than before, but still have areas of improvement.

It is a very broad yet deep topic, but if folks are comfortable, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on aspects they focus on while tuning, maybe approaches & tips. I am mostly self-taught in Alteryx and often feel the need to share and learn from others. E.g. the approach in this video was new to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHrqmbgfK4Q

MikeD
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I definitely tune my workflow to run as fast as possible.  Usually I just build it so it works first, then gradually improve each tool and process within it to speed it up.  Usually I get good improvements through data cleansing and attention to sorts and joins.  I have also done some work to determine the best memory allocations for various workloads.  To my surprise, more memory wasn't always better.

Labels