Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Tool Installer Error: Unable to find a configuration file

Megan_Dibble
5 - Atom

Hi, I am creating my own tool (using Alteryx's guide: https://help.alteryx.com/current/developer-help/tool-configuration-file), and running into the error "Tool Installer Error: Unable to find a configuration file" when I test my .yxi file.

I attached an image of my file structure, which I am zipping and then changing the extension to .yxi. Also, below is the contents of the  Config.xml file. Please let me know where you see my mistake! 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<AlteryxJavaScriptPlugin>
<EngineSettings EngineDll="Macro"
EngineDllEntryPoint="SBD_Excel List\Supporting_Macros\SBD_Excel List.yxmc" />
<GuiSettings Html="JavaScriptCountEngine.html"
Help="www.example.com/JavaScriptCountGui.html" Icon="Excel List.png">
<InputConnection>
<Connection Name="Input1" AllowMultiple="False" Optional="True"
Type="Connection" Label="I" />
</InputConnection>
<OutputConnection>
Connection Name="Output" AllowMultiple="True" Optional="True"
Type="Connection" Label="O" />
</OutputConnection>
</GuiSettings>
<Properties>
<MetaInfo>
<NameIsFileName value="false" />
<Name>SBD_Excel List</Name>
<Description>Macro to read excel files with all the sheet names and named ranges as selected by user.</Description>
<RootToolName>SBD_Excel List.yxmc</RootToolName>
<ToolVersion>1.0.0</ToolVersion>
<ToolInDb value="false" />
<CategoryName>SBD Common</CategoryName>
<Author>Enterprise Data and Digital Insights</Author>
<Company>Stanley Black and Decker</Company>
<DescriptionLink actual="" display="" />
</MetaInfo>
</Properties>
</AlteryxJavaScriptPlugin>

Thanks,

Megan

1 REPLY 1
bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Please ensure that you are not zipping your parent folder but instead zipping the project folder  along with the config.xml (and png file). If you zip the parent folder that folder will appear as the root of your zip and you need the Config.xml file to appear in the root.

I struggled with the same thing until I ran across this post: https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/10/05/create-share-alteryx-tool-installer-yxi-file/  which does a really job job of breaking down and explaining all of the pieces and steps that go into creating the .yxi