Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

JIRA Connector

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

JIRA Connector (Macro)

jira.png   

Public Gallery Link:  https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/JIRA-Connector/58d87c2feffc2a0dd0b5ed8f

I've published a JIRA Connector to the public gallery and hope it will be useful for those using JIRA that are looking for a way to quickly download issues for their JIRA projects.  It's pretty straightforward, but here's a preview and quick guide:

30 Second Preview:

Installation & Configuration

Download and import to your Macros folder

import.png

As long as your macro folder has been mapped (Options -> User Settings -> Edit User Settings -> Macros), you should find the JIRA Connector tool in the Connectors category on the tool palette the next time you open Alteryx.

pallete.png

Tool Configuration

3 Tabs:  Site & Login, Project & Issues, Fields

Site & Login

Enter the URL for your JIRA site along with your username and password.  Email logins will work, but your actual username is preferable because it enables the "Only My Issues" option to work (next tab).

login.png

Project & Issues

You'll need to run the workflow at least once with the "Refresh Project List" option selected before being able to use the "Download Issues" option.  This loads a list of available JIRA projects that will show in the dropdown under the Download Issues option on subsequent runs.

refresh_projects.png

Once an available project list has loaded, you can select a project to download issues from.  You'll also notice some options for filtering issues that belong to yourself or another specific assignee.  You can also paginate through large result sets in 1,000 record increments.

download_issues.png

Fields

Lastly, select one of three options for returned fields and parsing methods.

1. Standard - Formatted
    •  Includes the commonly used JIRA system fields and utilizes more practical parsing and formatting methods
  2. Standard - Raw
    • Includes all JIRA system fields and transposes/flattens multi-dimensional arrays (to a certain extent/depth)
    • Can yield wide results
  3. The Kitchen Sink
    • Includes all system fields, as well as custom fields
    • Parsed results for this option will likely be very wide and cumbersome

fields.png

Output

Summary (S) - a brief summary of the results (record counts, etc.)

Raw JSON (J)  - direct JSON response from the JIRA REST API

Parsed Results (P) - the parsed results

canvas.png

That's it!  Once again, I hope this will be useful and look forward to getting some decent feedback.  I've only been able to test this on our company's [cloud hosted] JIRA projects and honestly have no idea if it will work for private server hosted JIRA environments.  

Please feel free to leave feedback and/or report any runtime errors below.  I'll do my best to publish new versions to the gallery with essential fixes.

Taylor Cox

87 REPLIES 87
mithily
8 - Asteroid

Is it possible to get the data for a subset of projects?

right now i can only download one project at a time and then union the data but this can get very cumbersome. I would like to know if I can download a small subset of projects?

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

Very nice and helpful.Thank you!

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

Great!

levpo
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Thank you for the Jira connector.

We are using Okta and the connector doesn't work for us.

Do you have any work around how i can resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

amruta
7 - Meteor

hi Coxta45 where can I download the macro from? This https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/JIRA-Connector/58d87c2feffc2a0dd0b5ed8f does not work, it keeps taking me to the community and pointing to the Jira connector created by SDB40. please help, how can I download this macro, I am missing something here.

SDB40
7 - Meteor

@amruta wrote:

hi Coxta45 where can I download the macro from? This https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/JIRA-Connector/58d87c2feffc2a0dd0b5ed8f does not work, it keeps taking me to the community and pointing to the Jira connector created by SDB40. please help, how can I download this macro, I am missing something here.

Hi @amruta - the iterative Macro does work, you may have it setup correctly.  I also refer back to the documentation of the original creator of the non-iterative macro above, which should link the original macro that I based my work off of.  Hope this helps.

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Finally got approval to post the updated version of Taylor's macro. Not much if anything left from the original other than the inspiration, but thanks for starting me down the path Coxta45.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Updated-JIRA-Connector/ta-p/1053164

RoshiniS
5 - Atom

The Macro is updated and the Username asks for a domain name as prefix but doesn't accept any domain name. 

Any ideas how I would get this error resolved?  

JIRA err.PNG