Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

How to prevent dynamic input tool from attempting to connect before macro is run

cam_w
11 - Bolide

I need to use the dynamic input in a macro, but it is trying to make the connection before the macro is run. So in this case it is trying to make ODBC call to database with incorrect credentials, before the user has ability to provide the credentials. And it returns a nice bright red error message.

Is there a way to tell the Dynamic Input tool to not try to connect to it's data source until run time?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cam_w

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this.  We've run into the same issue internally when building dynamic tools.

cam_w
11 - Bolide

@StephenW - Is it submitted as an 'Idea' yet, do you know?

Also, would it be possible to capture the error and supress the error message from users?

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@cam_w

I'd highly encourage you to post it to the Ideas forum.  Unfortunately, there isn't a way to suppress the error message (post that as an idea too :-))

cam_w
11 - Bolide

For those searching for this same issue, I'm adding the idea I submitted for the Dynamic Input tool - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Add-option-to-prevent-Dynamic-Input-tool-fro...