Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

large file error

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

I have all the excel file with more than 80000 rows, and when i try to run the app it is giving an error. File browse option have an issue with large data set. 

is there any way to prevent this? 

pokhan27_0-1629379918289.png

pokhan27_1-1629380047440.png

8 REPLIES 8
john_watkins
11 - Bolide

There are various size limits on Excel in general.  .XLS is ~65K rows and .XLSX is ~1M rows.   I assume you have an actual .XSLX and are running 64-bit versions of both Excel and Alteryx correct?     I created a sample file and was able to read 100K rows in .xlsx (50 cols) with no issues.   It feels like you have an .xls version.

If you created the file you can always go .csv which is my preference when things get larger in record counts or if you worry about data getting modified within cells in Excel.

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

no i have 32 bit excel file

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

pokhan27_0-1629381656755.png

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

What happens if you set a record read limit at say 50K?   Is it possible to read it in a chunk, save it off as .cvs and then do that enough times to read the whole file and re-read the batch of .CSV's or just union the reads together.   It may not let you use a sample tool where you could say start on row X and read to row Z if it is failing on the read.  

I would see if you can open it in Excel and convert it to CSV.   If it doesn't open in Excel, I don't assume Alteryx would be able to open it either.   Something to try

Rahul3
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Did you find the solution for this ? My excel file has around 1M records with around 50 columns (File size is around 250 MB) and I'm also facing the same error while reading the file in Alteryx server. 

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@pokhan27 Can you share your input data configurations?

pokhan27
8 - Asteroid

yeah i selected one file at a time instead of selecting all input file. 

Rahul3
8 - Asteroid

Hi, this problem solved for me when I tried uploading the same file from my company's server system to Alteryx server. But when i do the same from my local system (via VPN) to Alteryx server it doesn't gets loaded. I believe this has to do with the VPN traffic .