Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error

venkat_BNP
5 - Atom

Hi - I'm also facing this strange issue with a workflow. I analyzed and figured that this error occurs only when we have output file as "Flat ASCII File (*.Flat)".

This works fine in designer and even in the server designer, but when I upload it into gallery- Validation is passed, when Run gives an error as below

" Oops!

The job Sample Flat File did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:
•There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error "

The output flat File is created successfully but the job ends with error - not success status.

I created a simple workflow with a text input and output as .flat file. Still error with run in gallery.

Is the .Flat file not compactable in gallery? Can you help me with this one. Thanks much.

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

When you upload to the Gallery, are you attaching the FLAT file and the file that defines it's fields?

venkat_BNP
5 - Atom

The FLAT file is output of my workflow. Can you explain what you meant attach FLAT file?

A sample workflow is simple as I have a text Input with 2 columns and output as FLAT file - *.FLAT as Output.

It works fine in designer but fails in Gallery.

Also the same workflow (open from Gallery), if I change the output to any other format say Excel and save back to gallery it works fine.

mic_jon
5 - Atom

I have also encountered this problem. Did you find a solution for this?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@venkat_BNP @mic_jon 

I think that what @patrick_mcauliffe was referring to is that a FLAT file is actually a data file together with another file that defines the format.  

Flat file pair.jpg

If you try to write a flat file (or read one for that matter) without also having the file that defines the format, you'll run into problems.

Both files.jpg

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.