Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error

surendar
5 - Atom

I am getting an error on an application.  I have it scheduled to run nightly and it fails with the message "There was an unknown error executing the application. The engine reported status Error".  If I re-run it on the server manually, it succeeds.  The workflow pulls data from several different SQL tables and writes yxdb's to a local drive. Before its has been runned server many time and got the result but now am getting the error

Has anyone run up against this before?  Any suggestions on where to look for more information? Output result.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@surendar,

This error can typically mean that something on your network is causing the error. Since the workflow has run in the past and runs manually this typically can mean either a network change or maintenance may be happening at the time of the scheduled run. To troubleshoot the issue, I would recommend taking a look at the Server logs to see if there are any details in the logs that show a network situation. I would also work with your network team to see if they are running any maintenance at that time or see problems with the network.

If you continue to have issues after investigating please reach out to our Support for assistance.

DanM

surendar
5 - Atom

@DanM

I Checked the logs its showing there is 0 errors,0 warning

fharper
12 - Quasar

Normally i would expect more info on error.  the error may be in a macro.  make sure you enable "Show all Macro messages" Capture.PNG

fharper
12 - Quasar

the others are correct in that there is some issue at the time it is trying to run.  show all macro messages may help you see exactly what....a file, a DB or some resource is unavailable most likely in the middle of the night.  If SQL most DBs that are maintained by back end systems update a refresh table as to when a table or DB was most recently update/refreshed.  you can enhance you logic to test for the resources currency and or availability.

yuriy
8 - Asteroid

We are getting this error on the first run on the server. It works fine on local machine. We do not see anything in the logs even though Show macros was checked. Any advise?

thank you

fharper
12 - Quasar

Can u provide the output log?  Turn logging on and capture the right log file, zip it and put in the post here.  Make sure show macro messages is on.

fharper
12 - Quasar

Since it is failing on server there should already be a log file in the workspaces area.

that should reveal the resource that is inaccessible.  Usually a service account is running jobs on server so it may be difference in permissions.  Also people often read or write to local drives during development and forget to change to shared locations for running on server.  Server typically won’t have access to any local hard drives on laptops etc. 

yuriy
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for quick comments @fharper

The logs are on, and I do see records from other workflows, but nothing related to this.

You were correct on the permissions. I was able to resolve it by adding the users to Alteryx program files and program data folders, but it seems to be more of a workaround since windows server policies will most likely revoke that access in the future.