Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Stop a workflow run via AlteryxEngineCMD?

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Today we run a lot of processes via AlteryxEngineCMD as this allows us to maintain effective release management principles in our organization, and allows us to leverage external scheduling tools.

I'm trying to identify if there is a way for us to easily cancel an in progress workflow using a command.  I would think that taskkill is excessive and could impact other processes on the server.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Claje,

Warning! Caution! 

You don't want to kill jobs and not let the Mongo DB know what's going on.  Use an ADMIN function on the server to stop the job.  If you want to kill the job, be aware that you could have a zombie job running that is simply keeping you from using that initiator.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Does that apply for things executed via AlteryxEngineCMD?  My (high-level) understanding is that the AlteryxEngineCMD is essentially equivalent for both server and a Desktop Automation license, and that it roughly doesn't interact with the MongoDB.  That could be totally wrong, so any advice/recommendation you have would be greatly appreciated, I'm just going off of what I have observed in reporting out of the MongoDB.

Anecdotally, I also know that if I kill a SQL task that is running long (generated by Alteryx), the Alteryx workflow will error out and stop.

Again, any advice you have based on your experience with these tasks would be fantastic.