Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Publishing DataSet on Server and using it in Designer

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi,

I had a question regarding sharing data source through the Alteryx Server.

Is it possible to publish a data source (eg. yxdb) to the gallery and use that in subsequent workflows?.

Similar to how one can publish a tde to the server and connect on desktop as a Sevrer Data Source.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yep that is definitely something that is possible, it depends how you would like it to work though.

The solution I am aware of would be to create a macro. This would simply have your yxdb and a macro output. Which you could then use as a 'input type' macro. You could upload this to the gallery and users could download it if they wished to use it.

Does that make sense?

Ben

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi Ben,

I does. But in proposed solution, the yxdb would be sitting locally right?.

I was hoping to learn how to put it as a data asset on the server itself.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

rajeshvarmar
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @JagdeeshN 

Did you manage to find a solution to this? I too am facing this situation where in I want to connect to a data set (.yxdb file) on server but I don't want the file to be downloaded to local system. will be great if you can share the solution or alternate approach you followed.

Thank you.

claudepromonet
6 - Meteoroid

I have some data that I would like to push on Alteryx server in a programmatic way. I am currently using "AlteryxEngineCmd" that is available with the desktop automation license.

Moving forward, we are considering a server system. Is the AlteryxEngineCmd be inlcluded in a server license package ? or what could be the recommended method in a Designer + Server environment ?

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

Bumping this to the top...
We know there is the option to save an output (say .yxdb) to the gallery by selecting the box in the Manage Assets section. After the workflow/app runs, the user is then able to view or download that file.

Is there an option for a user to create a workflow solution that can access this file from the gallery for use as a data input? We are trying to identify an opportunity to shift an output folder from a shared drive location to the gallery. Can anyone provide feedback as to the feasibility of this or if this is being looked at for future enhancements?

WannieW
5 - Atom

By chance run into this thread in 2021...

Does anyone have any suggestions? We are trying to provide curated data sets for other analysts to connect to as input data in their subsequent workflows. Ideally would be to store these curated data sets on gallery and schedule daily refreshes. This would help improve data accessibility for our analysts while maintaining data governance.