Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Postgres Bulk Loader - 2019.1

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi All

I have a flow and performing multiple bulk loads into postgres tables using the new 'Bulk' connection which was released with 2020.3

The flow works perfectly fine on designer. Now I want to save this file on Alteryx Gallery v2019.1 using 2019.1 non admin designer and it throws the below error messages.

Gallop_0-1611071187097.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gallop_1-1611071209651.png

Please advise on how to save this flow on the server 2019.1 and get it to work.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
gtorres8
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JDong,

That's great to hear that the PostgreSQL Bulk works for you on Designer 2020.3. The issue most likely is that Alteryx Server 2019.1 does not recognize the "pgbi" format in the connection string because it didn't exist prior to 2020.3. It's best practice to keep all Designer clients to match Alteryx Server if publishing workflows to Gallery to avoid compatibility issues.

As mentioned, the PostgreSQL Bulk feature is new to 2020.3 and higher and it will not work on any Designer or Server version prior.

George Torres

Sr. Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.

JDong
8 - Asteroid

@gtorres8 

thank you very much for the help !

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @gtorres8 

Another question to folow up and request reply.

I have an existing flow that I updated to the bulk loaded output and worked fine until now.

Now suddenly I get the below error.

Error: Output Data (405): Error creating table "a.b ": ERROR: relation "b" already exists;
Error while executing the query
CREATE TABLE "c"."a"."b" ("...

Any thoughts here..In settings i have the overwrite enabled and the flow was working perfectly fine

Gallop_0-1611338737652.png

gtorres8
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JDong,

It sounds like there were some constraints on that table and when trying to re-create the table it's indicating a relation constraint named "B" already exists.

Here's an example of this kind of error from the PostgreSQL message board.

If you plan to re-run the bulk many times, I'd recommend using the "Delete Data & Append" option instead of the Overwrite table option. The drop table option completely destroys the table structure including the data and starts over, while the Delete Data option only removes\truncates rows of data within a table but keeps the table structure in-tact.

It's recommended to consult your DBA to help with the constraints issue and investigate further.

George Torres

Sr. Support Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.