Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Optimizing Scheduler

paultno
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am relatively new to using Alteryx and am wondering if there are any tips/tricks to using the Alteryx Scheduler to its full potential?   Any advice would help!

Thanks,

Paul

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@paultno It depends on what you use Alteryx to do.  What kind of use cases do you have?

paultno
8 - Asteroid

Hi Patrick,

I just need to know some general tips for using scheduler.  Basically, there are certain programs that have to be run before others to run.  After those initial programs are run, all of the other ones can be run at once.  

Thanks,

Paul

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@paultno

Hmmm... okay then; at a very general level:

1. Make sure your scheduler and workers have access to the same UNC paths that your workflows use (if they need external files).

2. If you need to have workflows run in sequence, either download the Crew Macro Pack and use the runner/conditional runner macros or use the workflow events to chain them.

3. Avoid relative path references in workflows - always make sure they have UNC paths.

4. If your scheduled workflows use macros and you think you'll ever want to change them, don't upload the macro with the workflow.  Instead, store them on a network folder that the server and users have access to.  You can change them without needing to re-upload the workflow.

paultno
8 - Asteroid

Hi Patrick,

This is a good start for me.  Thanks for the advice!

Paul