Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Leverging Credentials inside Alteryx Server for other tools such as Tableau

Vernon
7 - Meteor

We currently have processes setup so that our Alteryx Server can leverage data on a SQL database, and pushes it to a Tableau Server.

We would like to automate this process, but ran into a credential issue.

Currently, processes will require user to enter the credentials (stored on Alteryx Server, so they can select it as they are allowed), to run processes against the SQL Server. We would also like to use the same credentials that are stored inside the Alteryx Server to pass it into the Alteryx Server to Tableau tool for connection to Tableau Server.

Is there any way, by using Macro or some sort, to do this? The key is for users to just select the credentials once. Our users cannot manually entered in these credentials as they do not have access to the password for security reasons, thus that's why they use the credentials stored on the Alteryx Server.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi  @Vernon ,

You can enable the functionality you mentioned in the following two ways:-

1. While publishing to the server, within workflow options select the 'Set Workflow Credential'  option. This would enable different ways of embedding a credential or prompting the user for it.

jagdeeshn_0-1611619008815.png

jagdeeshn_1-1611619031797.png

2. Another way of achieving this functionality through creating Data Connections on the Alteryx Gallery. This connection is then assigned to the respective users. They thus can access these connections while development/deployment on the Designer, without actually knowing the actual creds.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

Vernon
7 - Meteor

Hi jagdeeshn,

Unfortunately  that is not what I’m asking. I am asking if we can redeploy those credentials stored on the server to other tools such as “Alteryx to Tableau” where it also needs admin and password.

Right now, our users are assigned rights to credentials and they are asked for credentials when running a workflow. They access a drop down which they can enter the credentials without password.

we would like that when they select the credential, it also gets deployed inside a tool that requires a user and password

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Vernon ,

Sure. When you say inside a tool that requires the credentials, are you referring to a tool/macro within alteryx or an external tool like Tableau?

Vernon
7 - Meteor

Hey @JagdeeshN 

A tool within Alteryx.

the tool I’m referencing is Alteryx publish to Tableau tool.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but at present you can't use Windows AD as the Auth for PtTS. It is also hard to pass the credentials to the PtTS tool as you would need to pass them un-encrypted and then let the tool encrypt them (otherwise you get a double encryption and can't be un-encrypted).

Some things to look at are:

Vernon
7 - Meteor

@KaneG 

Hi KaneG, Thanks for replying. We are not trying to push Windows AD credentials in the tool, rather these are stored credentials on the Alteryx Server.

So most of our workflows, running on the Alteryx Server, requires user to select a stored credential on the Alteryx Server in order for it to run.

I'm just wondering, since the user is selecting the credential already from the Alteryx Server, they should be able to pass that user/pass back into any of the tool.

See here.. the user are able to select the predefined credentials on the server when they are running a workflow. I just want to pass these credentials in another tool.

Vernon_0-1611840676572.png

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My apologies for assuming all those credentials set up were Windows AD. Essentially though, they are credentials to run the workflow and there is no option on the PtTS to allow default credentials of the person running the workflow.