Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Hyperlink Output

kcoonrod02
6 - Meteoroid

I have an app that essentially creates an excel file for end users to be able to further work in. All files are saved in a consistent location but have different names and data. When I am running this app in desktop, I am able to open the file directly. In a perfect world, this same process would be possible in the alteryx gallery, but since I don't want them downloading a separate copy of the file (and then risking it not being resaved in the right location, etc.), I decided I would try and output a hyperlink to the file path on our network.

I looked through several forum posts, and right now I have the file name and path as fields that feed into a report text (formatted as <Link [File Name:A]|[Destination Path:A]> and creating another new field) and then a Render tool. The only way I've been able to get the link to show as an output in gallery is with the following configuration. 

Screenshot 2024-01-22 133430.png

This produces the link as I would expect, but unfortunately when I click on said link nothing happens. Hovering over it does show the file path that I would expect. 

• Is there a better way to generate an output that would link to or directly open a file from a gallery saved app?
  • If this is the right approach, why would my link not actually work?
  • Bonus question: If I am going to continue with the pcxml output, is there a way to remove the option to download it? I feel like it would only cause confusion.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 134859.png

Thank you!

Kat

1 REPLY 1
mystasz
8 - Asteroid

Hi! 

Did you ever find a solution for this?

I found that a network drive successfully hyperlinks but if you put something like www.google.com, you get the same output (blank) as your screenshot. Even with the network drive, nothing happens when you click the link in gallery. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!