Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error when using File Browse Tool on Alteryx Server

gab3
7 - Meteor

I am trying to run an analytic app on Alertyx Server.  The app run fine on Designer, but when I try to use the File Browse tool on the server I get the below error message.

Alertyx File Browse Error Message.png

I am able to write files from the server so I don't think it is a permissions issue.  Based on the file path in the error message it appears as thought it is trying to put the file path of the workflow ahead of the name of the actual file.

Any ideas on what could be causing the problem and how to fix it?

15 REPLIES 15
BenBo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I feel like i might be stabbing in the dark, but it could be a file path problem on the Server. Have you tried using UNC path instead? My initial thinking is that the Server has no idea what drive "D" is.

gab3
7 - Meteor

I forgot to mention that I did check to ensure that all dependencies were UNC.

gab3
7 - Meteor

Also, if it helps I do not even have a D drive mapped on my computer so I really don't know where everything prior to the actual name in the file path in the error message is coming from.

BenBo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You mentioned you have permissions to the write location. Does the user executing the workflow, on Server, have the appropriate permissions?

gab3
7 - Meteor

Yes.  The workflows are all setup to run as an administrative user.  They have the ability to write to the same location that I am trying to pull the file from.  I have been able to write to that location many times.  However, this is my first experience trying to use the File Browse tool on server.

BenBo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I apologize, but my gut keeps slipping to a permissions challenge. Does the user executing the workflow have permissions to the data consumed by the File Browse tool? If you're able to post the workflow, that might help too.

gab3
7 - Meteor

The user has permissions.  I think the issue is with the file path that the tool is trying to use.  In the screenshot I sent the entire file path prior to the actual file name does not exist.  I'm not certain how the tool is pulling the file path only that there are not issues when running on designer.  I can include a screenshot of how the File Browse tool is configured, but unfortunately I cannot upload my workflow.  There is not a way for me to rebuild without sending information that I cannot distribute. 

Many-to-Many_Worker
6 - Meteoroid

did you ever solve this? I had the same issue but mine says:

File not found "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Staging\10772_2740041979c84f41903b0c3d7a72f57f\_externals\1\In_5e15c70f8470cc2a14000fbf\testspendupload.csv"

gab3
7 - Meteor

I was able to resolve the issue.  The way I had it setup when I was getting the error was the file browser was connected to a text input with a default file path in it.  My thoughts were that the browse tool would update the file path, but that's not how the tool works.  I changed the setup to a input tool that was setup with the original version of the file I wanted the user to be able to select newer versions of.  The browse tool will now update the file with the one selected by the user.  The only issue is if there column names on the file they select do not match the file in the input tool then the user will receive an error, but there are ways to work around that.  Hope this helps.