Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error receiving data: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (1005

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

When I schedule run a workflow on server, we are getting the following error - Error receiving data: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (10054) and it doesn't show the error log in Workflow results. has anyone had this error and can you guide me through why we might be having this error?

This error doesn't show up when I run it on my local machine Alteryx Designer but it happens only on the server

14 REPLIES 14
ianwhite
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you try to run this workflow from the designer that's installed locally on the server? This may be a permissions issue and that's the best way to be certain.

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

@ianwhite yes, I am able to run it on my designer without any issues, and it does show the error log too.

ianwhite
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

is your designer the one that's on the system running the server software? Whenever Alteryx Server is installed, deisgner is also installed. So whatever machine is designated as the Server system will also have Designer on it. Running it there, as the user that will be running the Server, will allow you to determine if there are permissions issues.

The error that you're seeing is typically indicative of a permissions issue, which is why I suggest that Designer on the Server system to confirm. If you can run it on your own system fine but both the Designer on the Server and the Server itself through Gallery can't run the workflow, then we know it's permissions based. In this case, I usually direct customers to this post that explains permissions on workflows pretty well. 
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/How-Workflow-Credentials-Work-on-a-Pr...

raychase
11 - Bolide

We've been experiencing the same error, although very intermittently. The same workflow could run 50 times on Server in a day and fail once or twice with this error.

I submitted a ticket with Support earlier today to have it looked into. Permissions are certainly not the cause, as it works with the same credentials 95% of the time.

Full error:

Error opening connect string: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0: Client unable to establish connection\08001 = 10054; Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0: TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. \08001 = 10054

tothd
8 - Asteroid

looks like a process may be getting hung up and then client kicked out for not moving it along.  

Please update this your ticket when this is resolved.

Cheers,

rdt

raychase
11 - Bolide

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm seeing the error about 1-5 times per day. It seems to have started up during our last monthly VM patching window.

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

@ianwhite yes, I asked my server team to run it on the server designer and it ran (with errors) but it also had the log. The problem is I'm still not able to see the log in the server gallery. I've tried using another gallery and same error there too. 

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

@raychase  we have raised a support ticket too and provided our workflow. No response yet though

raychase
11 - Bolide

@shravanvijayaprasad - out of curiosity, what version of Alteryx Server are you using?

We have Alteryx Server 2019.4 on Windows Server 2012, using the SQL Server Native Client driver.