Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Entering Credentials has been disabled -- Bad Version of provider

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

My company is new to using the gallery, and I'm trying to set up gallery connections.  I'm getting the "Entering Credentials has been disabled" error.  Checking the logs, though, this is not coming from a permissions error like other discussions on this topic.  We are using the LocalSystem user for the service, and the logs are pasted below:  Any idea how to fix this?

2022-12-13 05:00:01.361000,NOTICE,155136,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage: Initializing encrypted storage locally."
2022-12-13 05:00:01.365000,ERROR,155136,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage_Error: Error importing keys to Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\ directory in ProgramData: Bad Version of provider. (-2146893817)"

16 REPLIES 16
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Do you have access to the server machine?

If so, could you try regenerating the controller token, please? And then click next all the way and finish to restart the service.

fmvizcaino_0-1671218548774.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PythorZ 

Would it be okay to completely remove Server from the environment, and re-set the Alteryx installation on the server machine?

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

I do, but I'll need to schedule time to be allowed to restart the service.  I'll let you know if that helps.

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

I've regenerated the token and restarted the service,  same error shows in the new log file:

2022-12-16 19:44:51.654000,ERROR,131328,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage_Error: Error importing keys to Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\ directory in ProgramData: Bad Version of provider. (-2146893817)"

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PythorZ 

Is there a service account configured in the Alteryx System settings (run as user tab) under worker?

If there isn't, this issue is stemming from the local system admin account not having access to the machine keys I believe.

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

There is a service account for running workflows, yes.  That account is a member of the administrators group on the server, and the adminstrators group has all the directory permissions mentioned in the articles previously mentinoed. 

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

Working with AlteryxSupport, the solution was to revert to a previous version of the RuntimeSettings.xml file.  There had been an attempt to update to a newer server version, and the file relevant to that newer version was in use, even after we had reverted the server executable.  Thank you to everyone for their help.