Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Data Connections and Users

LNGRIFL
6 - Meteoroid

We need a workflow that will list all the users assigned to a data connection.  This will be used for decommissioning data connections.  I found that you can use the following Logic trail to find out WHO is using a Data Connection:

1.  Get the dataConnections.Users.? (users.0 thru users.8) and match that/those with the appInfos.CreatedBy; Then

2.  Get the appInfos.SubscriptionId and match with the users.SubscriptionId;  Then

3.  Get the users.Sid and match that with the windowsIdentitys.Sid

I created a workflow that will JOIN the single data connection user to the appInfos CreatedBy.  So there are 9 JOINS for just getting the dataconnections  Then I merged all 9 into 1 file.  Then I used a JOIN on the users and windowsIdentity collections to get the users SubscriptionID needed to JOIN with the 9 in 1 merged file.

This works for ALL of my data connections and users EXCEPT for the ones that have not used their assigned data connections.  The missing users DO have an entry in the dataConnections collection.  However, they do NOT match up with ANY entries in the appInfos collection.  Is this entry just a placeholder for the user in that data connection until they actually use the data connection?   

Does anyone know WHY the users who have not used their assigned data connections do not appear in the listing created by the above workflow?

Does anyone have a working workflow to list the dataconnections and the users assigned to them?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@LNGRIFL If I am understanding correctly you just need a list of all of the users assigned to each data connection. If this is the case the method you are using is definitely the hard way to do this, and as you noticed isn't complete/accurate if the data connection isn't used. The value in the users section of the data connection is the unique object id for the users document associated to the user in question. As such getting this information is a pretty simple join of the id from the users section of each data connection to the documents object id in the users collection.

It does get a bit more complicated (all though still easier than your method) if the data connections are also being shared with subscriptions. In this case you would also need to join the subscription id's from the data connections collection for each connection back to the appropriate subscription id associated to the users from the same users table. Please see the attached workflow for an example of both of these methods.

Note: Support currently doesn't recommend sharing data connections with studios/subscriptions due to a number of known issues/limitations.

LNGRIFL
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you KevinP.  This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for.  It's been a long 4 months in finding the solution.