Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Azure sql server connections not running in gallery

peanut89
8 - Asteroid

We are migrating from on prem sql server to azure cloud sql server. 

Running a flow with the input from our Azure sql server locally works just fine. But when i push to the gallery it runs in perpertuity 

There is SSO enabled with our azure sql server. And ive noticed everytime i click on another in the flow and go back to the input too, the SSO screen flashes again. 

So my theory is the SSO is the issue why my flows are running forever in the gallery.

My question is is there a fix? Thank you !!

9 REPLIES 9
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Which tool are you using exactly to get data? According to the documentation, for Microsoft Azure SQL Database only Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication is supported, depending on how the SQL Server is configured.

https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/microsoft-azure-sql-database 

peanut89
8 - Asteroid

Just the input tool 

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Have you tried running the workflow with your credentials? You can set it when saving it to the Server. 

peanut89
8 - Asteroid

Yes i have, but i think the sso is the blocker. the flow has been running for 4hrs now. 

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

The best practice for database connections on the Server is to set it up either using the Data Connections (Server admin creates and shares it with your user) or via DCM (you create and manage your own). Have you tried these options? 

peanut89
8 - Asteroid

How do I as server admin set this up?

peanut89
8 - Asteroid

Thank you i will try this

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @peanut89 - you may know this already, but when running in the server environment the security context is different, and web based SSO will not work.

Taking this step by step:

- When you're on a desktop machine - the security context is "logged in as me" and SSO can flash up on the screen or pass your credentials over to the DB server

- However - when running on the server - the security context is "logged in as Alteryx Server" - and there is no interactive UI user (it's running as a service, not a user session) so there's no way for Alteryx Server to deal with a login window.

So - you need to use a login method that can pass security credentials directly - and either pass in explicit username & password - or use a way that can pass through a kerberos identity, and permission the Alteryx Server to your SQL server.   By far the easiest way is to use a username & pwd which is built into the connection string.