Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alteryx Sever Python - Copy file from my desktop to NAS drive - can this be done?

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

Can I Copy file from my desktop to NAS drive - can this be done? Or will the server not allow me to copy from my local drive?

I can run a python script copying a file from my local pc to nas drive in desktop alteryx, but i cannot seem to get it done when ran on the server.

Any reason for this? 

Are there are workarounds?

2 REPLIES 2
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

@wonka1234 

The Alteryx server is like any Web Service, your workflows are run in the Alteryx Gallery (a Web Service) by an account other than yours, because of this the workflows have access to the resources with accessibility granted to the hosting account. Now Googling around I found this article Making your Computer Accessible from the Public Internet which creates security concerns to your organization, I don't like the idea of Web Server accessing clients' work station resources, that's quite dangerous.

hth

Arnaldo

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wonka1234 ,

When publishing the workflow on your Alteryx Server, we usually use shared folders/drive to which both the server and you can access. 

To answer your question, no, the server can't access your local drive.

If you have a batch process and are basically uploading the workflow on your gallery to schedule, a workaround is to use the scheduler inside your Alteryx Designer, which requires additional configuration and help from your Alteryx Server admin.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Connecting-to-a-controller-in-3-easy-...

Best regards,

Fernando Vizcaino