Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alteryx server Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Server experts.

Connecting to a controller in 3 easy steps

Alteryx
Alteryx
Created on

Want to start scheduling workflows? First, you will need to connect to the controller of your server

When connecting your desktop to the Controller, you need two things: the machine name of the server and the controller token.

1. What’s a machine name, you ask? It is also known as the full computer name. On the machine housing Alteryx Server, the machine name can be found here - Control Panel\System and Security\System. Mine looks something like computername.domain.com.

Control panel.png

2. The Controller token comes from Alteryx System Settings, also located on the machine that houses the server. It is under Controller>General. Click View, copy and paste the controller token into notepad and save it somewhere safe! *Regenerate only if completely necessary, this will cause issues for existing schedules*

System Settings.png

You are now ready to connect to the Controller!

3. Go to Options>View Schedules>Controller dropdown>Connect to Controller

View Schedules.png

And the final step is copying and pasting the Machine name and Controller token you gathered earlier.

Connect to Controller.png

Happy scheduling!

Comments
Alteryx Partner

So, okay, what do i do when i get a Controller Connect Error? I also found this post in the community https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Singapore/Alteryx-Scheduler-FAQ-s/gpm-p/32509, but the link to the actual FAQ's is broken (https://help.alteryx.com/current/index.htm#SchedulerFAQ.htm?Highlight=schedule)

controller-connect-error.png

Asteroid

@_enrique_javier, did you ever get past that error?  I am experiencing the same thing now and can't figure out what to do about it.

Alteryx Partner

@JustinO, it turned out that the Alteryx Service versions were not compatible; what Alteryx version(s) are you in? It makes a difference if you're in Desktop vs Server.