Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow and Macros in shared folder

prozanini
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that I share with other users in a shared folder from the company and it references some macros, which are in the same folder. The macros are all indexed with relative paths (so that the fact the shared folder is in  G drive for me and a H drive for other user is not an issue), yet, when one of the other users opens the workflow, it does not find the macros (? toolbox). When I open it, it works perfectly. Does anyone has any idea of what might be happening? I even checked the .xml and the relative paths is nicely set there.

7 REPLIES 7
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Are you sure the other users created the Macros path to the shared folder in their User settings?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Alternatively, export the workflow with macro to yxzp package and let them import the workflow with the macro.

prozanini
8 - Asteroid

They do not have it set as their macro path, nor do I, but it is a folder they have access to, so I cannot understand why Alteryx does not find it. Exporting it could work, but it will create new instances of the macros, which, since they are used in other workflows, is a multiplication I'd rather avoid if possible.

prozanini
8 - Asteroid

Also tried setting the macros folder, but that did't affect at all the issue.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Alteryx needs to be told where the macros are that are referenced in a workflow. If the workflow was part of a package file that included the macro, the reference to the macro will exist, but if you just open up a workflow that contains a macro, Alteryx doesn't now what it is, unless it already knows where to look for macros, which is why you set up macro paths in the user settings

prozanini
8 - Asteroid

Well, that goes against my understanding that the macro folder is mostly to make them appear in the pallete, but I might have gotten that wrong so. Anyway, even after the folder being added, the macros are still not being found by the other user. Could it be a version compatibility issue? Both workflow and macros were created in a later version than the one the user has.

prozanini
8 - Asteroid

SOLUTION:

In case someone runs into the issue, the problem was due to the fact the macros were created in a newer version of Alteryx than the ones the users had access to. Opening the .yxmc in a test editor and changing the verion in there for an older version solved the issue.

Example:

From

<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2020.1">

to

<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2019.1">

Labels