Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to Create Backup - Block Until Done

Nerud19
6 - Meteoroid

I'm currently trying to write 4 different tabs into 1 excel workbook.  I've been using the Block Until Done tool in order to make sure the first output to excel is done before the 2nd output and etc.  However, I still continue to get the error of Unable to create backup.  I've tried to use some other recommendations such as parallel block until done but the same error appears.  This is something our organization is hoping to eventually put on the server so other people we can run this but I need to get this error resolved first.  To me, it doesn't seem like the Block Until Done tool is working properly unless I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Andy

Nerud19_0-1614369961884.png

12 REPLIES 12
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nerud19,

Maybe you can use reporting tools. Please check this post by @CharlieS:

The workflow from this post will show you how to do it:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Multiple-Reporting-tool-outputs-to-one...

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Nerud19 We were having similar issues and developed a simple batch macro. We've even brought a couple settings into the macro so you can toggle some options (deleting the file, preserving the formatting and skip field names). 

You do need to just have a dummy text input with only one record connected the initial upside question mark. Then You can just chain together as many of these macros as you want.

This works because the initial dummy record is passed through the B output and you connect it to next macro's question mark. batch macros have to be completely done before they send the output, so it works if you connect these sequentially. We did have to add a wait macro between these at one point when we determined that excel was taking too long to close and still producing an error.

patrick_digan_0-1614371501638.png

patrick_digan_1-1614371529226.png

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If it's a timng/delay issue, maybe adding a Throttle tool behind the Block Until Done might help getting that timing to work?

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/throttle-tool 

Nerud19
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you everyone for your replies but none of the recommendations get down to the root cause of the issue and the Block Until Done is not functioning properly at least in my example.  Yes, I can probably use any 3 of the work arounds that have been provided in this post (Which I will end up doing).  But based on the Block Until Done tool explanation, there should NOT be a need for the work around, correct?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nerud19,

I am not an expert but maybe if you will switch output number 1 with output number 2 it will start working? 

Emil_Kos_2-1614376792584.png

I am not the biggest fan of this tool and I always try to use the report tool / or use the output file to split the file into different sheets.  

Nerud19
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Emil,

I pretty much tried every which with Block Until Done.  I even added a bunch more BUD's in order for the workflow to count stuff like records in order to give it more time.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Nerud19,

I am afraid that your solution will not work as your block until done's aren't line up with each other. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Error-Output-Data-39-Unable-to-create-...

raychase
11 - Bolide

As someone else mentioned, your output tools need to be connected to the 1st output node of the BUD tools.

Additionally, are you writing to a file on SharePoint by any chance?  I've experienced issues with writing to the separate tabs within the same workbook that lives on SP.  I suspect it's a slight delay with SP's checking-out feature that triggers this error.  The workaround is typically to write the tabs to a local workbook, and then use a post-event script to copy the file to its ultimate SP destination.

Labels