Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Tools - Action not updating values

Hal-Matt
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to create an app where I can use interface tools so users can enter sku numbers, a start date and an end date, and have results returned to them.

However, my interface tools don't seem to be updating the values on the filter tool within the macro. I have tried multiple combinations of Update Value, Update Value with formula, using the replace a specific string option and selecting an attribute through the Action configuration menu, all to no avail.

I know my values are being passed into the macro and that the control parameters are set to the right fields (see screenshots). But I cannot work out why the action tool isn't updating the filter values.DebugDebugMacroMacroWorkflowWorkflow

8 REPLIES 8
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Hal-Matt 

I was just wondering why you think the filters within the macro are not updated? Is it because you don't see any records returned? 

A possible issue could be how you're building out the filter for Article Nos using in. This approach requires each Article No to be wrapped in quotes which is not the case in your workflow

('11111111','2222222') rather than ('11111111,2222222')
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you tried replacing the Control Parameter inputs, in the Macro, with Macro Inputs?

This may resolve your issue.

Hal-Matt
6 - Meteoroid

@MichalM wrote:

@Hal-Matt 

I was just wondering why you think the filters within the macro are not updated? Is it because you don't see any records returned? 

A possible issue could be how you're building out the filter for Article Nos using in. This approach requires each Article No to be wrapped in quotes which is not the case in your workflow

('11111111','2222222') rather than ('11111111,2222222')

Good spot, this definitely was an issue, but it hasn't fixed my workflow. 

And yes, because I'm not getting any values returned, but maybe it is a problem with the macro.

Hal-Matt
6 - Meteoroid

@RishiK wrote:

Have you tried replacing the Control Parameter inputs, in the Macro, with Macro Inputs?

This may resolve your issue.

When I try this it tells me "the macro input cannot be used as a question input for this action type"Annotation 2019-08-15 112606.png

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Ok, did @MichalM 's suggestion work with the control parameters set in the macro?

Hal-Matt
6 - Meteoroid

@RishiK wrote:

Ok, did @MichalM 's suggestion work with the control parameters set in the macro?

No it didn't, but I've added into my input data some records that ought to be selected by the dummy values in the filter that my action ought to be updating, and they aren't being returned either.

Annotation 2019-08-15 113659.pngAnnotation 2019-08-15 113715.png

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Hal-Matt 

There are couple of things I'd check

1. The data type of your Article No. For this type of filter to work, the Article No needs to be a string.

2. I'd change the way the date filter is configured to Basic and then use the action tool to replace the Operand - see below. I've tested with these 2 changes and the macro works as expected.

basic-filter.png

operand.png

Hal-Matt
6 - Meteoroid

@MichalM wrote:

@Hal-Matt 

There are couple of things I'd check

1. The data type of your Article No. For this type of filter to work, the Article No needs to be a string.

2. I'd change the way the date filter is configured to Basic and then use the action tool to replace the Operand - see below. I've tested with these 2 changes and the macro works as expected.

Changing the date filter to Basic and then using action to replace the Operand worked here!  Thanks Michael

Labels