Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

union tool with auto config by position option

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

I am just trying to understand in details - I want to use the union tool to combine the dataset out of the join tool - since i have around 70 columns on one side and 10 columns on the other side i do not want to create each column and specify the null so that i can use the "auto config by name position"

(i dont want to create 60 columns and specify null)

will the "Auto Config by Position" work correct - i want to add all the columns right at the end of the first dataset - attached the options screenshot

i see 1 warning saying all input fields are not same - any other issues that are know

ss.png

3 REPLIES 3
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Raj_007,

Here is a visual representation of how "auto configure by position" works. It will layer your two data streams on top of each other. The numbers in this picture represent column order. The column names don't matter for "configure by position." The warning arises when one data stream has more fields than the other (the blue area in this picture). The blue area will result in nulls for that specific datastream.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 5.10.31 PM.png

If you don't want the data directly on top of each other, then a union tool might not be your best option. If this isn't your goal, can you explain a little more about your objective?

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much - i do need the union tool - since i have lot of columns on 1 side and few columns on the other side (i thought i do not want to create columns with Null() ) but looks like this option will work - thanks a lot for the clarification

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@Raj_007, happy to help! If the above post resolved your question, could you please "mark as solution" so that future community members with your same question can benefit from it too? If it didn't resolve your question, please reach out. Thanks!

Labels