Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

null data, replace by matching multiple fields

maygross
8 - Asteroid

I have a massive dataset with multiple categorizations. Some of the rows have nulls which would like to replace with the same values in the complete data (see in the example below, they share the same sub and ban, but are missing the other data). The blank rows are not directly above or below the rows with the correct data, so using the data in the below row doesnt work here. I would like to replace the null with the same information that exists in the row with the same sub# and ban# in their designated fields (searching for the same value in multiple fields to replace one null). How would you suggest i approach this?

maygross_1-1680636989430.png

4 REPLIES 4
StellaBon
11 - Bolide

My first thought is to use Summarize to group by Sub and Ban and  one of the fields  that contains nulls, then filter out null group, renaming column with the correct data (Let's say field is [modman] and data value is [APPLE]),   rename it [modman_replace] in Summarize tool. Then use a Formula to say IF is Null ([modman]) then [modman_replace] else modman endif.

Copy and paste substituting remaining fields

Dina
9 - Comet

I would sort the target column Descending, so the non-blank row would on top. Then, using "Multi-Tool Formula" tool, and clicking Group By Sub and Ban, to grab data from top.

If you want to, you can also sort by Sub and Ban first, then all the related records are together. 

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

I'm assuming your using In-Database Tools because of your "In Database" tag, but if just regular tools then yes to the multi-row formula suggestion.

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@maygross Let us know how you resolved your issue!

Labels