Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Write to Excel - Over write specific range.

jkell
7 - Meteor

Hi - I used this post to write multiple outputs from a single workflow to individual sheets in excel.

But I am wondering if the tool can be configured to overwrite only specific ranges within each tab (the same range for each tab).

I am able to do this when configurating the Output Data tool ("C:\\test.xlsx|||Sheet1$a10:b20" ) when I am not writing to multiple tabs.

But when doing using dynamic method provided in the post, it is not working as expected, and each sheet is overwritten entirely each time. 

Any thoughts? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

see the bottom dropdown on your output data - "change entire path" has to be selected. you can then send in your full filepath with:

filename.xlsx|`sheetname`$range send into your output data.

jkell
7 - Meteor

the original post says to use "change file/table name"

I tried updating to "change entire path" but now I am getting a output error "Error: Output Data (73): You must specify a sheet name."

But as you can see in the screen shot, I do have a sheet name designated 

kboeckholt
7 - Meteor

@jkell You're almost there - It looks like you have Cust ID selected at the bottom. I'm assuming you want each sheet in the output to use the Cust ID as the sheet name. Since you're now changing the entire file path, the field selected here needs to contain a full path instead of just the sheet name. 

You'll want to create a new field which contains the full file path where you want the data to be output:

kboeckholt_1-1677215060121.png

Then select that new field in the Output Data tool and uncheck the box for "Keep Field in Output"

kboeckholt_2-1677215111646.png

Hope that helps!

jkell
7 - Meteor

@kboeckholt Bingo! That did the trick, thank you!

Labels