Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating a filter using a connected List Box

pickandpray
6 - Meteoroid

After searching for a few days and not finding anything that truly gave me enough guidance to solve my issue I managed to pull together several different posts to arrive at a solution which I hope will help another lost soul down the line.

The key issue with list box is once you connect it to a tool to populate the tool, there doesn't seem to be a way to effectively control the filter. Just about every example on the Internet directly connects the list box action to a filter but that does not work because the selected and unselected items are returned from the list box control and they are in a fairly unusable format

This:

pickandpray_1-1648571353840.png

returns:

Regular Order=True,STORE INVENTORY=False

Here's what I'm pushing to the list box (I'm removing underscores for readability, but you will need to compensate if data has a mix of underscore and no underscore since the cross tab adds underscores), I don't believe the value is used for anything but a place holder:

pickandpray_2-1648571534985.png

the list box action should update a formula tool and not a filter. I have the action replacing a specific string (XX in my example)

The formula tool has a new Filter column that has the value 'XX' that is updated by the action and then 

• group by to get only one row for the filtered values
  • parse into rows for each filtered value
  • remove the 'false' records
  • remove the extraneous text '=True'
  • join the filter back to the original data to perform the filter

pickandpray_3-1648571845412.png

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

"returns:

Regular Order=True,STORE INVENTORY=False"

Have you tried toggling the configuration to list mode? you then set up your filter for [value] in ("list from listbox")

I use listbox configs nearly everyday - and I believe what you are looking at is the output when the list box is in select mode - not list mode.

pickandpray
6 - Meteoroid

I could not find a way to use list mode when I populate the list box from another source.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I do not believe this is true. I just tried this with an external datasource and was able to create a list from it.

your config should look something like:community peeps.png

YWANG111
5 - Atom

this doesn't work.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@YWANG111 have you started a new topic and shared the config of your list box and action tool? someone can walk you through this..

Labels