Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To import a .del file with the '|' separator

Ankita_89
5 - Atom

Is there a way to parse a .del file with a '|' separator using Alteryx? I tried to import a .del file with about 5M records but it wasn't parsing the way we expected it to. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to upload a sample of the data? I can try to mock up a workflow.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Depending on whether or not you have extra headers in your data, sometimes I like to actually read in files like this with no delimiter and uncheck the box for "first row contains field names". Then you can follow it with a Text to Columns tool that uses a | delimiter to appropriately parses it out. Can you give this approach a try and see if it works for you?

no delimiter.png

ikeoneh
6 - Meteoroid

Please has anyone been able to fix this?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@ikeoneh you can either specify the bar as a delimiter and possibly start the import on a line when the data actually starts using the configuration option. Alternatively, bringing the data in with no delimiter and following it with a text to columns tool is also a good solution. This isn’t an issue with parsing capabilities but rather is a function of the structure that your file has the data in. 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @ikeoneh 

I think .del is not one of the supported types, which you can check out here:

https://help.alteryx.com/20212/designer/input-data-tool

One way to circumvent this is to rename your file from .del to .txt. Then read it with the Input Tool with specified delimiter and untick "first row containing field names"

FirstRow.PNG

InputDelimeter.PNG

Labels