Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

To find matches between two columns - if column 1 is contained within column 2

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I need some help with how to find "Matches" and "No Matches" between two fields. 

I have been using the "if contains" formula however this is not giving me the desired output.

Example below:

Column 1 and 2 show what the inputs are, and column 3 is what the desired output should show. However the last column is showing what the current if contains statement is showing. 

COLUMN 1COLUMN 2MATCH?CURRENT IF STATEMENT RETURNS:
NONENONE1MATCH NO MATCH
1220893712208937AMATCHNO MATCH
UNKNOWNUNKNOWN71MATCHNO MATCH
21700000170201170201NO MATCHMATCH 

I am really not sure if this is possible. I have a number of columns containing "NONE" or "UNKNOWN" and with this the 1/71 at the end shows the number of times this "unknown" is used. This needs to remain however needs to be shown as a "match".

Any advice would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Lauren_Holmes,

I think perhaps you have the conditions reversed in the Contains() function?

In the Contains function we have a "string" and "target". The string is the field we're looking for the target value in. Therefore in your case the string field is Column2 and target field is Column1.

IF Contains([COLUMN 2], [COLUMN 1])
THEN 'MATCH'
ELSE 'NO MATCH'
ENDIF

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1621511288297.png

I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

One day my brain will start working! Why I didn't try this before, thank you for letting me know! 🙂

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

No problem at all! 🙂

Labels