Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtotals

nausherc
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Experts, I have been struggling to use subtotals in my output. Is there a (simple) way to include subtotals in the output? Below is a sample data.

ClassSectionStudents
IA100
IB150
IIA200
IIB250
IIC300

I would like to have subtotals for each class like the ones we see in pivot tables. I tried the CReW macros(Add Totals), but it totals the full range and not by each group. My workflow goes - Many tools to Union-Summarise-Table-Layout-Render.

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
vivaisun11
8 - Asteroid

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestion that you provided.

I was able to follow until the Sort tool, but in my solution, when I pass this data into the Table tool, how do I still keep the same order when some columns are not part of the grouped data in the Table tool?

Also, how do I remove 'Null' from the columns that don't have any data?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @vivaisun11 

What are all of the fields you're grouping by in the Table tool? If you just group on the SCAC field, it looks like you could get the output you're looking for.

vivaisun11
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Kenda

Thanks for getting back so quick.

I am grouping it by SCAC, Email and Subject since I need to use the Email and Subject fields in the Email Tool from upstream inputs.

However, since these cells show 'Null' for the Subtotal row, the table is being split into two and not showing as a consolidated view.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @vivaisun11 

Without seeing your full dataset, I just have to guess, but it sounds like you have two options. You could fill in the values that are currently null for email and subject with the same value as the prior rows so that they are all grouped together. Another option could be to put this piece into a batch macro.

vivaisun11
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Kenda 

My bad in not attaching a sample workflow.

Attached it here :)

Will also try the suggestions that you made.

Thanks for taking a look!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @vivaisun11 

Thanks for the workflow. I tested adding two Multi-Row Formula tools, and I believe I was able to achieve what you're looking for. 

Here is an example for the EMAIL field:

image.png

Do the same thing for your SUBJECT field. Put these after your Sort tool but before your Table tool.

Hope this helps!

vivaisun11
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Kenda 

That worked like a charm! Thanks so much for helping me with this!

Labels