Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
RESUELTAS

Split column based on REGEX pattern

SergeantJack
Asteroide

Hi, I'm hoping to find a simple way to clean up the following.  I have some address data that needs to be cleaned up.  Here's a sample:

City                            State      ZIP

Plymouth                    IN          46563

Comstock Park          MI 49321

Flint Mi 48532

Owosso Mi 48423

I want to separate out the city, state, and ZIP into separate columns, like in the first row.  I want to first move the 5-digit ZIP to the ZIP column, and then move the two-letter state abbreviation, changing both characters to uppercase, to the State column.  Seems to me that it should be a fairly simple fix, but I'm really stumped on how to proceed.

4 RESPUESTAS 4
ShankerV
Cástor

Hi @SergeantJack 

Please use the below in Regex tool

Regular expression:

(.+)\s+([a-z]{2})\s+(\d{5})

Output Method: Parse

Also post which add a formula tool to convert to Upper case.

Uppercase([Sate])

Many thanks

Shanker V

SergeantJack
Asteroide

That seems to work perfectly.  Is there a way to get it to dump the parsed information into the already-existing columns?  If I specify the City, State, and ZIP columns that already exist, the REGEX tool creates City1, State1, and ZIP1, which is not optimal.

Luke_C
Cástor

Hi @SergeantJack 

To do that you would modify the regex to work in a formula tool. To get the City for instance you could do Regex_Match([DataField],'(.+)\s+([a-z]{2})\s+(\d{5})','$1')

SergeantJack
Asteroide

Thank you both!

Etiquetas